A tailored IT Solution for strategic workforce planning
Our client, a large financial services company with more than 10,000 employees and an ever-expanding network of branches, turned to us to provide the best possible end-to-end support for strategic HR planning. For this reason, we designed a unique data-driven solution, completely tailored to the client’s needs.
The solution consists of a tool supporting the strategic planning of resources which, given a set of jobs to be filled, identifies the most suitable resources and the transfer chains to be carried out in order to fill these positions, making the most of any redundancies available. Through the calculation engine of the mathematical model, it’s possible to elaborate scenarios composed of transfer chains whose calculation complexity would be difficult to manage “by mind” on a set of about 13,000 human resources and numerous job positions.
The mathematical model of matching job positions and available resources optimises and proposes one or more scenarios using a variety of data, fed through automatic processes (e.g. input from Zucchetti, Talentia, geolocalisation of data) or entered through intuitive user interfaces, including:
- Personal and contractual characteristics (e.g. career and transfer history, benefits, maternity, law 104)
- Skills and role suitability (e.g. matching of skills, qualifications, proximity and role coverage)
- Elements affecting work-life balance and environmental impact (e.g. road distance from home to work, working hours, part-time requests, transfer requests, smartworking)
- Ad hoc constraints inserted by the HR function (e.g. decisions already made on who will or will not fill one or more jobs).
Parameter configuration, model start-up and the selection and management of the approval workflow of the proposed scenarios is possible through dedicated and profiled user interfaces with data encryption and obfuscation for six different user profiles corresponding to the different HR functions involved (e.g. cost planning, workforce unit, resource managers, …).
The solution allows to analyse the characteristics of the scenarios through web interfaces and interactive dashboards strongly oriented to the geographical representation and allows to modify and consolidate in a synergic and shared way the target scenario before it is conveyed to the HR target systems.
The ability to analyse, design and implement the correct mathematical model and interfaces to allow interaction by HR users along the end-to-end process were the key elements of the solution’s success. Through it it is now possible:
- Collect in a common database, updated daily, the information present in the various personnel systems and have the possibility to make interactive data analysis also on a geographical basis.
- Move away from the “organisational silo” structure of the current process, reducing manual intervention and using the geographical dimension/distance as a calculation and decision-making driver.
- Quickly generate new change scenarios optimised and supported by data, from which it is possible to intervene flexibly to modify the proposal and define target scenarios
- Manage a distributed simulation and approval process through common and shared processes and rules
- Monitor the overall and ad-hoc progress of this process and the timing of the completion of individual steps