Good insights for a better living.
With more than 61,000 employees divided into eight local health companies, the Emilia-Romagna Regional Health Service is one of the Italian spearheads of the industry. This record was made possible by the knowledge of the operators, the quality of the structures and the efficiency of their activities.
Taking care of citizens’ well-being is a responsibility that requires monitoring and management systems able to keep pace with the evolving needs of the community. One of the main tools needed to achieve this target is the enormous amount of data generated by eHealth which can be used as a valuable source of information to guide managers and improve patients’ experiences.
The effect in case of inactivity is the inefficiency of the actions and the constant dissatisfaction of the users to whom should be assured the right to health protection.
Location Intelligence for healthcare organization
Iconsulting supported the Emilia-Romagna Region monitoring, analyzing and programming not only the service offered to the clients but also the activities of the structures on the territory. The aim was to provide effective support to epidemiological investigations, to assess the appropriateness of performance, to support the territorial organization of the structures and to answer the main questions of health policy such as:
- Where do the residents of a specific region go to receive assistance?
- Which segments of the population are least covered by health service for a specific disease?
- After closing a department in a specific location, which facilities are going to be mostly affected by the absorption of new patients?
- Is the territorial organization of the structures coherent with the distribution and the characteristics of the population?
With this objective, Iconsulting has developed an analytical system with a strong analytic component. Moreover thanks to the peculiar control and spatial programming (with simulation and prediction skills) it is now possible to carry out multiple analyses, including:
- Analysis of the hospital facilities available on the activities about the outpatients and hospital resignation.
- Analysis of the demand for a pool of assisted professionals (a company, district, municipality, etc.).
- Analysis of a determine performance or DRG service coverage for a determined part of the resident population.
- Analysis and simulation using cartography of the services offered on the territory for understanding the reorganization impact (creation of scenarios where one or more outpatient or hospital wards should be open or close and calculating the difficulty for the assisted, discomfort of facilities/departments, average period of attendance, new prevision costs, etc.).
- Simulation of “health home” optimal distribution on the territory (an instrument for both simulation and generation of different scenarios for the organization of the territory infrastructures depending from the characteristics of the territory, population and the economic factors, with comparative analysis respect to the real situation).
Strategic decisions could be taken based on information that respond in an actual way to citizens’ needs, enabling personalized and calibrated healthcare paths. This comes to reality only reducing existing information barriers and making information easily and quickly available.
- To Increase quality and service coverage.
- To reduce costs